Saturday, February 21, 2015

Bangkok - The City of Angels

February 19-20

Last night, after midnight, I finally arrived in Thailand. I might have travelling in time for 14 hours. Due to the late arrival I am staying in a hotel close the airport plus my friend is arriving tomorrow so, it only made sense to stay closer. One thing I didn't know about the place are the annoying roosters outside. Yes, you did hear right. Apparently, behind our windows is a little self-sufficient community raising chickens and kids riding bicycles all day long. Ignoring the noise, I have slept godless amount of hours, I think I am finally catching up for all the sleepless nights I had months before the trip. I treated myself to some delicious curry chicken dish and Thai beer while reading my guide book for Thailand. TIP one: Thai people do not use knives, or at least they do not have them in restaurants, the food is cut up into small pieces before serving.

Interestingly, I have been so calm the minute I got all packed and on the plane. It all felt right. I have met 3 other people travelling to Bangkok from Hong Kong. I think we all needed some type of comfort of talking to somebody familiar in these new settings. Tomorrow I will touch up on Hong Hong Kong a little bit more.

I was completely unaware  of the fact that my trip started on February 19th, which marks the beginning of the Chinese New Year of 4713 - the year of the sheep. Chinese months start on the darkest day and New Year festivities traditionally start on the first day and continue until the 15th day, when the moon is the brightest. (Thank you internet for all the abundant knowledge).

According to the legend, Buddha requested that all the animals meet him on Chinese New Year. Only twelve came, and Buddha named a year after each other. People born in each animal's year would inherit some of that animal's personality.

Sa-Was-Dee (Goodbye) for now









































































































































































8 comments:

  1. Haha, Roosters?! That is hilarious! Glad you are catching up on sleep, regardless! :) Love the history... Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL...roosters...did it remind ya of home a bit? Enjoy it, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you sleep ? I don't remember roosters even from smaller towns in Thailand ; )
    Did you go to the city in HongKong ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Na Kaua'i tez byly te okropne koguty. Pialy w chorkach cala noc. Chyba przyemigrowaly tam z Tajlandii;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lepsze to, niż śpiewający w nocy w łazience obok chińczyk ;)

      Delete
  5. So happy to hear that you have made it safely and that you have had time to catch up on sleep! I'm looking forward to hearing more details about your time in Bangkok! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete